Thursday, April 20, 2006

~ My Anti-Drug ~

A new blog I’ve been browsing has got me worked up and thinking about outdoors, Living Back In The Woods , I spent most of my childhood outdoors. That’s what kids did in my day, there was no X-Boxes or Play Station II’s. I could have fun with a stick and a rock. Most of the time my Mom would tell me to go outside, and then she would have to whistle for me to come back in. I remember my Mom would only give me three trips a day through the front door, because I was either letting the heat out or I was trying to cool off the whole wide world. I was quite a bit older before I figured out an odd amount of trips (three) eventually left me being outside. My Mom used to whistle to get our attention, and no not like a dog. But her whistle carried a lot further than a yell. Every kid around knew that whistle and if we did not hear it they would tell us our Mom was looking for us. My family always had guns, and my Dad and Grandpa and eventually my big Brother made sure I knew how to respect them and how to use them. I never had the urge as a kid to play with one, or get one out and show off to a friend. I believe it was because they were natural to me, a big deal but at the same time no big deal. Guns led to being outdoors which is a good thing like I said. So of course living in Oklahoma that meant hunting. Rabbit, squirrel, duck, quail, dove, and my favorite, whitetail deer. My brother was into bow hunting at that time so that’s how I started hunting deer, I really liked it, we would hunt through primitive arms and riffle season with bows. For years I didn’t even hunt with a riffle. Then I started hunting with black powder, primitive arms. Shot my first deer with a .50 caliber Hawkin Riffle. It was not a kit gun, but the real deal, over 120 years old. I like old things, most of the time they are just made better. I liked to think that same gun put meat on someone’s table because it was a man taking care of his family, not just for sport. I use to let a lot of deer just walk by when I was hunting, there is just something about it, being out there watching, being quiet, being alone, watching nature, it‘s a lot more than killing. You can just melt into it and become something a little bigger that 9 to 5 Joe, keeping up with the Joneses. If killing a deer was all there was to hunting, I don’t believe a lot of us Southern boys would be doing it. And if that meant having a good hunt, well then I’ve had a lot of bad ones. Because as it stands; Deer - 1532, Chuck - 5. The best hunts I’ve ever had, is where I didn’t get anything, oh I wasn’t happy at the time but looking back I wouldn’t have it any other way. Only bad hunt I ever had was about 2 months after my wife and I split up, I was deep in the wood by myself, wasn’t having Thanksgiving that year, setting at the base of a tree about 5:30 am, waiting for the sun to come up and I thought to myself, I’m alone, all alone, no one knows or cares where I’m at and I have a large bore weapon. Half hour later I was setting down and having “Moon over My Hammy” at Denny’s in town. Other than that hunting has always been good. I started taking my daughter when she was eight, let her carry a knife on her belt (she thought that was big stuff). She was familiar with guns I’ve taught her just like I was, maybe a little better. I trust her around guns as much as I do anyone. I trust her at home with them too, a bid deal but no big deal, it works. Her first hunt she sat still with me and stayed quiet for two hours before she started getting fidgety, that’s about all I could do. She has great eyes and sees things I don’t. She is with out a doubt the best hunting partner I have ever had. We would go deer watching, that’s without guns. And we would set for hours watching deer. She’s 15 now and still gets exited to see them, and gets sad when we sees one hit by a car. She talks about some day taking her kids hunting and using my guns, you see when I’m gone they are all hers. She knows which ones were my Dads or other family members and which ones are just my guns. She says then that means she keeps them all. She has a few of her own, her first was an Ithaca .22 single shot, I thought if she was going to have an accident I’d rather only be shot once. Then she has a Rossi 20 gauge single shot break over, a .22 caliber Ruger 10/22. Her next gun will be a .223 of some nature, I have a 45.70 but she says it kicks a little too much. I have not gone hunting in two years now because of my legs, but I WILL go again some day, you can bet on it. The last 4 or 5 years that I did hunt, a friend and I set up a pretty good permanent deer camp on some land he owns. We call it “God’s Country”. We improved on it every year and it’s just about perfect for us. We would take our vacations at the same time (riffle season, the week of Thanksgiving) we’d camp out about 9 days come home on Thursday and eat, shower, and head back. There is nothing like setting around a camp fire at night before you bed down. After Em would go to bed we would maybe pass the bottle around a few times before turning in. I slept better there than I do at home. My daughter helped a lot and is welcome there anytime (even without me) she is a part of our tradition there and fits in perfect. She’s smart, a huge help, and she’s good company, my buddy always includes here automatically “when are you and Em gonna come out?” and believe me we don’t let just anybody hunt with us, we’ve had to weed of few tag alongs out. But like I said it’s more about being outdoors in the wilderness than it is actually killing a deer. Most Indians tribes used to not take anything from mother earth unless they had to, and then it was with sadness and respect, and out of honor you would use all of it, whatever it was for a good purpose. And they would give thanks for everything, sound like a pretty good way to me. That’s the way my daughter was taught and my friends and I believe the same way. We talk of what we saw more than what we shot. And having some deer chili sure doesn’t hurt either. When ever it is overcast (that’s my favorite time) cool or even cold old outside, calm and I hear the crows squawking, that’s when I get the urge to head to the woods. When my time here is through and if it’s alright with God, I’d like to be cremated and have my ashes buried out there where we hunt, the place marked by a simple white wooden cross, I would like it to have my name on it of course, the word “Father”, a Cherokee medicine wheel, and the words, “Good Bye, Good Luck, and Good Hunting” They say that when you die that your soul goes to the happiest time in your life, if that is true I might as well have a head start. Good day. Good Hunting.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Again, this is a good post. I believe as you do, if you're not going to eat it, don't kill it. I've been aroound guys, you may as well have caled them poachers. They'd go out at nite spotting deer and just shoot, hoping it would be a difficult shot and they could march around with the prowess of...an asshole.Upstate New York is famous for this kinda mentality and in and around there, Warren County, Pa. is running with deer. Go a hair more and you're in the Allegany Forest and they do the same. Makes me sick but Doe and Buck season is big enough there that they get those days off from school. Good to see someone pass on the old ways. xoxo

April 20, 2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

up state new york has the largest deer population in the lower 48, most people wouldn't think that, but when you think of new york, it's mainly the city, thanks babs.

April 20, 2006 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, you bring back memories of my childhood! You're right about growing up without electronics -- I spent many hours hiking the hills behind our house with my faithful German Shepard. Back in the days when a girl was safe hiking around abandoned mine shafts with her man eatin' dog. There was open grazing in the hills behind my house so I had to be careful of ill mannered bovines and a few ornery equines. Lucky for me my German Shepard had a long line of herders in his background. Whenever he saw cattle he would run half circles behind them and gather them into a group -- here's where he sorta forgot the next step -- he just walked away from them and then came at them full tilt and scattered them into the scrub brush.

Oh yeah, about your Mom whistling for you -- that's exactly what my Father did! His whistle would carry for incredibly long distances, and you're right all the kids in my canyon recognized my Dad's whistle, so if I didn't hear it they would let my know my Dad was looking for me.

I never went hunting, but every spare minute Dad had us target shooting he showed me at about 6 years old how much damage a bullet could do by shooting a watermelon. It's amazing how I've never forgotten how that melon flew into a million pieces. And you're right about learning to respect guns at a young age it never leaves you. I remember after I was married my husband wanted to go target shooting in the desert with a couple of his buddies, we had killed a few dozen abandoned beer cans when my husband went out to set up some more cans and his buddies started pointing loaded 22's at him and laughing. I was so upset that men in their mid-20's could be so stupid that I made my husband take me home, and he promised me he'd never go shooting again with the idiots.

Oh yeah, about low lifes that kill just to be killing! I hate them! Dad always said you ate what you killed or you leave it.

Az Country Girl

April 21, 2006 12:23 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Az Country girl, you're ok by me, sounds like you have some stories of your own, why don't you (if you don't) blog yourself? i for one would read them.

April 21, 2006 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally -- I get to sit down and make a comment - lol. Chuck, I have LOVED reading your blog. I just love it!

That's all. That's all I wanted to say (or rather -- that's all I have TIME to say right now).

OK - bye for now :)

April 21, 2006 12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I trained my family on small arms from the get go. My daughter has a twenty gauge double barrelled coach gun with external hammers, a Taurus .38 special, and a Walther P22 semi-automatic pistol. My son's favorite rifle is the Colt SP-1, which is a civilian version of the Colt Commando, a short barreled M16 with a folding stock. He also uses a Mossburg 20 guage Cruiser, a pump with a pistol grip. My wife never really liked shooting, but knows how to use a pump 12 guage if she can remember how to load it under stress. I belong to a gun club, and try to get the whole family out for practice at least every quarter.

April 22, 2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

i have a 12 gauge double barrelled coach gun with external hammers, i like it a lot. and if the s**t ever hit the fan, i would want my daughter right by my side, or at my back. she's got a good head on her shoulders, always has. if she just didn't like boys she'd be perfect.

April 22, 2006 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home