Tuesday, April 18, 2006


~ African American Warriors, Black Warriors ~

“The Americans were sending their Black troops straight into the front of the German lines, instead of to the side. And there was no reason for it. So the Americans sent these soldiers to die.”
~ Gino Dinelli, Italian Partisan WW-II ~

I’ve always said that my heroes have always been cowboys, I even wrote a post on it recently, I stand corrected, one of my heroes is a Buffalo Soldier. To me the word “Glory” has always a different meaning, it’s the feeling I get when I here or see a man or woman rise up from their normal station, pull up their pants and behave in a manner fitting a King. It’s one of the few things that will make me cry. I call it “Splendid Behavior.” I’ve read about it, seen it on a movie, I’ve witnessed it in life very few times. In 1985 my Mother was dieing of Leukemia, she went from about 160 lbs to about 80 lbs in a few months. The chemo therapy is what was killing her. I moved back home to help take care of her. It was the hardest and best thing I have ever done in my life. She was beyond weak, out of her head most of the time, had no muscle tone or motor, skills, and completely dependant on me and my family. I was extremely exhausted one day and was lifting her from the bed when there was a loud “Pop” in my lower back. Two discs went where they should not have. I was in deep trouble, I was half way up with her, I could not go up, could not go down, (without falling and killing her) My mother, who moments earlier thought she was 7 years old and wondering where her mother was, heard the pop and grabbed me, held on, and in a strong and clear voice asked “are you alright?” She held on around my neck with one hand, rubbed my back with the other and put her legs down by herself for the first time in 4 months and helped me. At her lowest moment before death, she never stopped being my Mother and taking care of me. She weighed 80 lbs and I weighed 235. Splendid Behavior.
Vernon J. Baker, Buffalo Soldier, 2nd Lieutenant U.S. Army, WW-II is a man of uncommon valor. Served his country with honor, in fact, received The Medal of Honor. But he did not receive it during the war, or just after, or even a year after the war. No Black soldier was awarded The Medal of Honor during WW-II. Vernon J. Baker was finally awarded The Medal by President Bill Clinton on Jan. 13, 1997. Over 52 years after his actions on April 5 and 6, 1945, near Viareggio, Italy deemed him worthy of the honor. At a time when his country, and that is exactly what he would tell you. It was “His Country” And it’s the reason he and all of the Black soldiers served. It was “Their Country Too” At a time when his country would not serve him, or any Black soldier, or any Black citizen for that matter. To charge head strong into the roar of the guns at a time when the country that you love and will lay down your life for, turns their backs on you takes a man that deserves better than a hunk of metal. For 52 years this good man should have been treated like and lived like a hero. But it does not matter to Vernon J. Baker, he is proud of his medal, cried when President Clinton awarded to him. But he conducted himself with dignity and honor his whole life, before and after the war. If history would have been told as it should, as the truth. Maybe children of all races and color would look at things different. My heroes helped make me who I am. Maybe if I had known of Vernon J. Baker sooner in life, I would have a different way of thinking, a different way of looking at things, maybe the word “Nigger” Would never have come out of my mouth. You should read more about Vernon in his book he co-wrote, “Lasting Valor” You can read about him on line many places, one of them is, The Defense Link or you can find out about other Americans like him at “African American Warriors” http://www.aawar.net/ 2nd Lieutenant, Vernon J. Baker, Buffalo Soldier, Splendid Behavior, Good day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent commentary on a mans life, uncommon valor and the example of Splendid Behavior, that which you exhibit and is one of your best qualities. I see more than I let on. I have Discernment of Spirit, a gift and burden.But this is a perfect example of the phrase,"it takes one to know one," truly!!xoxo

April 18, 2006 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home