Wednesday, April 12, 2006


*~ When we were Indians ~

When I was a young boy in the 70’s there would be an announcement at school for any children with Indian blood to come to the auditorium for an assembly. I thought cool, anything to get out of class. In the assembly there was a lot of white people I thought. There were also black people (My Bad, African-American), red headed people, blue eyes, green eyes. I myself don’t look Indian except for my cheek bones and my large nose, and my eyes are blue, everyone in my family has blue eyes. The Indian councilor’s name was Mr. Dukes, he had short hair but he looked Indian. He would pass a clipboard around and have us all sign a paper. He said it was an enrollment for students with Indian blood, so the school could be eligible for certain programs (“Indian Money“) the more Indians the more funding. We all signed and did not ask any questions. We were told there would be money for school supplies and other equipment. Seems like about twice a year they would call us down to the auditorium and have us sign something. I went to school for 12 years give or take a few days. I never saw one penny of any “Indian Money” I never saw any supplies or other equipment. I take that back in the 7th grade there was an Indian Art Contest, I won first place in one of the categories. I got a blue ribbon and a zerox copied certificate that I had to fill in my own name. That must have been where all of that “Indian Money” went. Years later my brother dated a girl who really looked Indian and her family was pretty well off. She told me that at the beginning of each school year they would go to the office and pick up their free supplies, folders, pencils, and paper. I said Damn Girl! What school did you go to? You got my free stuff, give it back.
I was always proud I was Indian. I never got mad when we played “Cowboys and Indians” and I got, not had, to be the Indian. I heard of some kids playing “Indians and those-Land Stealing-Tee-pee Burning-Women and Children Killing-Forked Tongued-Treaty Breakin’-White Bastards”. I’m just kidding, they were kids, they weren’t aloud to say the word “Bastards”. Did you know that the term “Indian Giver” is not a slam on Indians? It came about when the white man would make deals with Indians, trade with them or even sign Treaties and then take it all back. The term was started by white people. If an Indian had started it, it would be more like “Wah shi tsu Taker”.
I also never personally knew any Indians that took offense at being called an Indian, nor did I ever know anyone that thought the name of the teams, Atlanta Braves or the Washington Red Skins were disrespectful. I went to Alice Robertson Jr. High, I thought it was cool to be an “A.R. Warrior“. My Daughter goes there now and they are affiliated with the High School so no more Warriors, now they are “Roughers” their mascot is a Bulldog with a hardhat. I wonder if my dog is pissed off about that. Why ain‘t the ASPCA getting on someone’s ass about that?
“Native-American” or “American-Indian” I just don’t care for those terms myself. Who would ever want to play “European-Anglo-Invaders and Native-Americans?” I liked it better when I was a kid and could be a plain old Indian, just don’t call me (or us) a Blanket Ass or Prairie Nigger and we’ll be fine. I am lucky enough to live about 6 blocks from the “Five Civilized Tribes Museum”. Choctaw, Chickasaw, Cherokee, Creek (Muscogee) and Seminole. When the leaves are down I can see it from my front porch. It’s on top of Agency Hill next to the Veteran’s Hospital at the entrance to Honor Heights Park in Muskogee Ok, visit it sometime and take a child with you. You can even go on line at http://www.fivetribes.org/www_fivetribes_com.html or at http://www.fivetribes.org/ Check it out. By the way I am Cherokee, Creek, French, and Black Dutch on my Mom’s side I guess that makes me American-American. Good day.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent post Chuck. I feel ya. I am as Indian as I am Irish but after mayying an Indian, I am considered Indian and my children are Indian and proud to be.Another point to ponder is scalping. That came from the Europeans and they did it to several tribes, thus the Indian adopted it to get back at what they had done to their people and ran with it. We didn't start the war, they did/Europeans. I really felt good about reading this and lived at Salamanca Reservation in N.Y.ALthough they are not my people because I am Blackfoot/Lakota, they treated me very well and the Salamanca Indian Library would search for books for me and my research.They found some of my research notes in a book before they sent it back to the Black Hills and mailed them to me. I was very impressed. Godd one Chuck, Darling!!

April 12, 2006 5:41 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

I know what you mean about the scalping, if you take all of the tribes there were into consideration, less than 5% practiced the ritual of scalping. But history always has a way of taking the negative and running with it, I guess it made better TV. Thanks for the kind words.

P.S. Did you ever watch the old "Lone Ranger" on TV and notice Tonto wearing black socks with his moccasins?

April 12, 2006 6:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Damn I missed thatand now you've burst my bubble. But you are my faithful companion Pronto aka Chuck. Don't tell me any bad things about gunsmoke, I just couldn't stand the pain.

April 12, 2006 8:04 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

I loved Gunsmoke, still do, it had a butt load of guest stars on it. Almost as many as Scooby Doo.

April 12, 2006 9:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, that means that you had to have watched a lot of Scooby Doo to note that! I think I'm Velma!

April 13, 2006 3:19 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

It's been a long time since I've seen Scooby Doo, I remember when Batman and Robin were on there and Shaggy ran out of Scooby Snacks and Batman pulled a cookie out of his utility belt. I still laugh thinking about Scooby saying "Bat Cookie!!" That's funny shit, I don't care who ya are.

April 13, 2006 7:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here Scooby watch me pull a snack outa my ass!!

April 13, 2006 10:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ya know Chuck, I just love that pic. Have you ever been to a Powwow? I just love 'em but I've only been to them here on the East Coast. I'd love to go to the Black Hills(the center of the earth)and see a Powwow from around there!

April 14, 2006 6:41 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

The guy in the pic is Cherokee, his name is Mickie Free, and yes i've been to a couple of Pow-wows, one time i got to set at the drum (and beat it) with some elders from the Osage tribe, they sang about stealing horses from other tribes, of couse i could not ubderstand them, it sounds silly but it was as powerful a thing as i ever witnessed, i cried like a baby and they looked at me like they understood what i was feeling, they just nodded at me and we beat louder. one of my finest moments. the man that took me and introduced me started banging my wife so i never went back. he got his in the end but that's another story. the creator is funny that way.

April 14, 2006 8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home