Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Karma


I try to live my life by the rule that if I say my prayers, try as hard as I can to always do the right thing, help people when I can, and always tell the truth that nothing bad will happen to me or at least nothing that I can’t handle. I try to follow the ten commandments and the golden rule. I think before I make any decisions and I give thanks for everything that I have or receive in life. But lately a few things have happened that makes me think that I have missed something somewhere. I play by the rules but still certain things bite me on the backside and it‘s usually financial. I live on an extremely tight budget and if anything out of the normal happens it sets me back and I have no way of catching up. So my sister has been picking up the bill for anything that pops up. Well she can’t afford to keep doing it either so this has got to stop. I feel like I must be doing something wrong. So I’m gonna make a list of my bad habits and take a good look at them and try and do better, I just hope the list doesn’t get out of control. Here goes;

1. Lazy
2. Eat too much
3. Judge people in my head
4. Look at women with lustful thoughts
5. Curse
6. Lose temper

Well I’m highly surprised that the list was not a whole lot bigger. This shouldn’t be too hard to work on. I will look at the list often and work on it and add to it if need be. My friend X would say that it’s Karma but I like to think that God has a hand in it, maybe both play a part in they way things turn out, I’d hate to rule out anything and then find out later in life or death that I was completely wrong. Anyway I’m sure that we can all better ourselves if we tried. Take care and have a good week.

5 Comments:

Blogger Xmichra said...

It's never a bad idea to try and make yourself a better person, but don't overlook the good that you do. This is the part that i think would be a huge list. Far too many people look back on themselves and can think of only the negitive. So don't get lost with that kind of reverie. You are a good man who deals with alot, and who is making good with what you have been dealt.

I think that Karma is relevent, and that it does serve a purpose. But i do not think that you would have to do something bad to get something bad done to you. I would never think that a mother would lose her child because she had eaten too many doritos. I would never think that a man would lose his ability to have sex because he had too much in his early years. no no. I do not think that Karma is a gigantic tab of this-for-that.

Karma is what you decide to do if given a choice to do good. If you shoose the other path.. things do come of it. Sort of like consequences. And you should expect those sorts of things to happen if you choose not to play by the rules. It might not be fair, and i certainly don't agree with it all. But it is there.

But the things that you have listed are to some extent quite normal.
Lazy - i am too. I work hard, and i play hard. but when it comes right down to it i like to laze around in my house in my bathrobe and just breathe.
eat too much - i am fairly certain that 99% of western society is here. We all eat too much, but we all face the consequences (i for one have acid reflux and some sleep apnea).
Judge people in my head - i do this ALL the time. And the thoughts aren't the part to fix.. really they aren't. That is you telling yourself what you think. The part that is important is do you let that judgement get the better of you? Or do you still go into a conversation with respect?
Look at women with lustful thoughts - hell Chuck, i do that too. It's nature, don't be ashamed of that. You don't go around imposing yourself on women, or raping them. It is a biological function to want sex, and to think on it.
Curse - i do PLENTY of this. But i suppose for me it is different, i do not feel likei will burn in hell forit. I figure that if the words are there, there is a reason. And the usefullness is not appropriate all the time, and that is where i monitor myself. Same way as i wouldn't talk in early latin terms with people unless i was talking about biology. Time and place for everything.
Lose Temper - once again, a natural thing. But if you try and not lose it on the people you love, that's a good start. Temper is also a main sign of stress, and you are stressed out. I don't think there is a single person reading your blog who can say that they have never lost thier temper. But this one is Karma-packed. For sure. If you lose your shit with someone.. you can expect reprocussion. MAybe it is in the penance that you have to serve to yourself for guilt. Maybe it is to a waitress who later fills your pizza with metamucil. You just don't know.. but temper if often "rewarded".

October 03, 2007 10:37 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

x - my first reply was that i think i love you but i deleted it in case you'd think i was a nut job. i'm really impressed with your comment and i was hoping you'd see this post. i really try and look at things like they are not really tit-for-tat, but i have trouble explaining it. i don't like to think life is all about reward and punishment all though some really big assholes seem to be living the good life.

October 03, 2007 7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't quite know how it works, but when ever my bro needs a hand and my hand opens up, things always work out. Me thinks he must be prayin an awful lot for me. God sez he blesses us for blessing others so it must be one big circle of blessings however small they may be.

October 04, 2007 5:21 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

my sister is gay!

October 04, 2007 11:19 PM  
Blogger Xmichra said...

Aw, i love you because you're a nut job :) hehe.

And yes, i can't say why there are some assholes out there livin' the good life. just seems wrong. But maybe they are "paying" in thier own way. Or maybe thier life gets cut short due to disasterous and fatal blows. Who knows.

Even a saint of a person will have the hardships. Which maybe the other common phrase comes in "the universe only gives you what you can handle". Which sucks if you have a lot of shit and still manage.

But there is a lot to be said for making good with what you have, and for making what you have good.

At least that is my view :)

October 05, 2007 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home