Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Monday...

Monday June 11th at 3:00 PM, we had the Memorial service for my brother Larry Ray today. I saw people that I’d hadn’t seen in over 25 years. I saw people that I had loved at one time or the other. Until today I had never regretted my life. Even with my failures and pains I’d always felt like I had led a good life and that everything was worth it. I had a wonderful father and mother all though they were taken from us too soon. My mom was 49 and my dad 54 when they passed, 3 years apart. I’d had a good relations with all of my brothers and sister. My marriage short as it was, my daughter the best thing that ever happened to me (and still is) my real friends were few but great. I had and have a good relation with God and it’s only gotten better with time. But so many of the people that I saw today were from a different time in my life. From a time when I could have taken many different directions that would have made my life so different. Maybe better maybe worse. During the service my mind wondered. What had happened along the way that I had turned away from these people and taken a path that led me elsewhere. Some of these people I had loved. Some I had thought of as family. Some I had gone to church with and shared meals with. Some I had worked with and some I had known as my brother’s best friends which I’d run around with and grew up with also. My ex wife was there, I see her quite often and we get along pretty well but if I’d known that she was gonna age this well I might have tried harder because she is still hot. There were a few girls there that I had crushes on when I was younger, a couple that I’d even gone out with once or twice. Now they are married and showing me pictures of their kids and even grandkids. Most people there had never seen me in a wheelchair before and I was worried that they would make a fuss over me, and that was the last thing I wanted. This day was not about me and I did not want to spend it explaining why I was in the chair, but it was not too bad. I tend to think things are gonna be worse than they are sometimes. We visited a lot and went to my sister’s afterwards and visited some more. And when it was over and I got home my fears were realized. I had been worried since Friday that when this day was over and all was said and done and everyone was gone and it was quiet again, that I would return home and it would finally hit me. Hit me worse that it already had if that was even possible. My brother, my big brother was gone. So I cried again. And I know that it’s not over and it won’t be anytime soon. I know I’m not the first person to lose a brother but it’s my first time to lose one and I have nothing good to say about it. I miss him. I try and look down the road and I know that I’ll miss him then too. Stupid me got out the family pictures when I got home. That was the wrong thing to do. Larry was the first born so naturally the folks took ten times more pictures of him than the rest of us. I figured out how dumb this was so I put them back away for another time. Maybe a time when it wouldn’t be so hard. If it seems that I’m starting to ramble it’s because I am. I don’t want to get off of here because I’ll start to think too much again. You can only cry so much and then sleep will take over. I’ve done a lot of that in the last four days. Sleep, eat, stair at the wall, sleep, eat, stair at the wall, and then take some medication and sleep some more. Whoever said that denial was a bad thing? If the meds and whiskey hold out I may make it through the week. Peace and good fortune to all.

Larry Ray Shoemake, Born Nov. 22nd, 1954 - Died June 8th, 2007

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Darlin, I'm here, ok.

June 12, 2007 5:33 AM  
Blogger phoenix_xm said...

You know that you aren't doing anything that i wouldn't do if i lost a brother. Don't feel like you have to agjust right away... take your time. On your time things will make thier way. Not on some riddiculous notion of how long you should grieve for.

Cry for your brother. You need too. Pictures may be hard to look at for a long time... but they are things that will keep you saine later.

like i said, call me or e-mail me anytime Chuck. (((hugs)))

June 12, 2007 9:17 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

My condolences to you & the family Chuck((hugs)).
To paraphrase the lyrics to an old BeeGee's song, "It's only words, and words are all I have to take your ache away."

June 13, 2007 1:15 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

thanks ladies, your words mean the world to me. xoxo

June 13, 2007 2:15 PM  
Blogger Whozfan said...

Hey chuck,
I'm sorry for you and loss of your brother. I think it's normal to look back and see left turns that should have been right ones and the stop signs we ran ran and should have stopped at. Hopefully you all can re-kindle some old friendships. It takes one or the other to pick up the phone or it doesn't get done. Seize the day. Take care.

June 13, 2007 10:59 PM  
Blogger Flea said...

Dear Chuck and Emily and family,
I am so so sorry to came across this today! Bugger is all an Australian can say! That is sad news, I feel sad with you haven been through the loss myself once. I wish you peace and calmness and a time to mourn and lovely memories in plenty that will stay for ever.

Why? Maybe because he was needed upstairs to be an early cowboy grand daddy for all the little angels babies up there! Don't loose hope but stay strong in your faith.

God bless, Hannelie

June 14, 2007 2:22 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

whozfan - good to hear from you, i'm gonna be alright, it's just gonna take a while, i was never one for smiling much anyway. i'm either laughing or looking straight through you, not much in between. thanks for stopping by.

hann - my favorite auzie, we all thank you for your kind words and well wishes. faith is what keeps me breathing in and out. i don't know about staying strong though, i feel pretty weak and whiney, i'm sure people are tired of me talking about it already, maybe i'll take a break for a while (but probably not) take care of yourself and thanks again.

June 14, 2007 6:04 AM  
Blogger Flea said...

No worries! Talk as long as what you want, your brother is and was a part of your life and you can't keep that shut or pretend it never was, you want to remember him for as long as you live. And I enjoy reading about other's life's so it doesn't bother me!

June 23, 2007 3:00 AM  
Blogger Flea said...

No worries! Talk as long as what you want, your brother is and was a part of your life and you can't keep that shut or pretend it never was, you want to remember him for as long as you live. And I enjoy reading about other's life's so it doesn't bother me!

June 23, 2007 3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home