Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Rite Of Passage



Do you know the legend of the Cherokee Indian youth's " Rite of Passage"? When he becomes the right age, his father takes him into the forest, blindfolds him and leaves him alone. He is required to sit on a stump the whole night and not remove the blindfold until the rays of the morning sun shine through it. He cannot cry out for help to anyone. Once he survives the night, then he is a man. He cannot tell the other boys of this experience, because each one must come into manhood on his own. The boy is naturally terrified. He can hear all kinds of noises. Wild beasts must surely be all around him. Maybe even some human might do him harm. The wind blows the limbs and the brush. There are all kinds of creepy sounds through out the night, but he sat stoically, never removing the blindfold. It would be the only way he could become a man! Finally, after a horrific night the sun appeared and he removed his blindfold. It was then that he discovered his father sitting on the stump next to him. He had been at watch the entire night, protecting his son from harm. We, too, are never alone. Even when we don't know it, Our Heavenly Father is watching over us, sitting on the stump beside us. When trouble comes, all we have to do is reach out to Him.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a little girl my Dad would throw me out of the car if he got angry at me for making noise, but he always thought I would sit on the side of whatever dirt road we were on and cry until he returned, but I was more adventurous that that, as soon as he drove out of sight I would go on my own walkabout adventure. I think that was how I learned to love the outdoors and I used to spend hours walking the mountains behind our house with my dogs in tow. Once we were on our way to a lake and he threw me and my sister out of the car because we were arguing, we walked all the way to the lake and it took my father about seven hours to find us. Childhood – I’m amazed any of us survived it!

December 18, 2007 11:43 AM  
Blogger Xmichra said...

that was a nice passage. It's a nice thing to think that someone is watching over us.. like a caring father would. Even if it is just for a moment.

December 18, 2007 5:19 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

I was just stopping by to say Happy Hollidays and to please watch Soldier Blue, a movie that shook me to the core 3 days ago. You SO rock Chuckster!

December 20, 2007 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home