Wednesday, May 17, 2006

In 1972 I was 8 years old...

My family and I were driving from Oklahoma to California. We were on vacation so we didn’t drive straight through, we took the long way as my Dad would call it, so we strayed from beaten path at times. Somewhere along the way in Arizona we stopped on the side of the road to rest and to stretch our legs a bit. We never had much money so when I say we stopped on the side of the road, that's pretty much what we did. I know my Mom told me not to wander off so of course that's the first thing I did. I remember crawling through a fence and walking through the trees and bushes a ways and coming to an enormous canyon, bigger than anything I ever had imagined. I was on the side of it I thought because I was looking across it rather than looking at it from one end or the other. I remember looking down at the fog rising up and I always thought that I was above the clouds. It was a straight drop off and a little scary but I walked to the edge and looked down. Below me and to the sides it was dark because of the shadows created by the depth of the walls. I remember feeling a little unbalanced. I ran back to where my family was and I never told anyone because at the time I thought I would be in trouble. It was probably the farthest in any direction I’d ever seen. You could not see it from the highway as we drove off, I know because that’s all I looked for the rest of the trip. It almost haunted me, I sat quietly and thought about it for quite a ways. There was plenty of mountains and canyons along the way but nothing like that. There were some places where it seemed that the drop off came right up to the side of the highway. I really liked Arizona and New Mexico, I was 10 the last time I was there. I’ve always wondered if it looked, felt, and even smelled the same. I hope my child gets to visit there someday, I would recommend seeing the Grand Canyon, I would imagine it’s worth the time.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really cool. Especially for an eight year old to have that kind of experience. Good thing your mother didn't catch you though.. you woulda warrented a Lickin'. :)

May 17, 2006 12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A big old Diamond Back might have got you, and then your blog would never have been, and I'd not have met you and the other good folks who hang out here. On such minor forks in life hang the threads of a mans fate.

May 17, 2006 6:00 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

i more than likely got a lickin' that day for something anyway, i'm not complaning but lickins' were a big part of my life, i used to use that as a facter deciding if i was gonna pull something or not "what kind of lickin' will i get for putting out my little brother's eye... again" that kind of thing.

that canyon still haunts me, in a good way.

May 17, 2006 6:37 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Montanus - i got kicked out of the house when i was 18 for having a 4 foot long water moccasin on my mom's dining room table, she was a tad angry to say the very least, my older brother was asleep and she went into his room and kicked him out too, he didn't even know what for. it was three days before she let us back in. when i was about 5 i carried a copper head to my mom and asked what it was, it never bit me and i think she might have tried to kick me out then also, but dad stopped her.

May 17, 2006 6:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's pretty cool for a little kid. I started noticing things more as a teenager and I loved the woods, always have.

May 17, 2006 8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been busy all day! Finally checked your blog and what do I see a bit of Northern AZ! I first saw the Canyon in my early 20's I was awe struck when I first saw it -- it doesn't look real at first because it is so vast. The second time I saw it I hiked down the canyon on the Bright Angel Trail. A word to the wise -- it's one hell of a hike!! Going down is hard because you're fighting gravity all the way down, and of course when you're at the top it nice and cool and as you descend into the canyon it gets hotter, and hotter, and hotter. Like I said I was in my 20's in pretty good shape, went hiking and climbing almost every weekend and it was still a difficult climb. Another thing is the mules going up and down on the same trail as the people (you have to move aside for the mules, and as they pass you they all seem to fart -- geez that's all you need when you're tired, thirsty, and exausted is to inhale mule farts). On our way up there were girls sitting on rocks crying saying that they couldn't make it out -- guys would take their back packs and urge the women to keep walking because it cost $500 for the rangers to come and haul you out. We even heard a mountain lion stalking us on the way up! IT WAS GREAT -- I'll never do it again.

AZCG

PS. The place in Arizona that seemed most spiritual is Canyon de Chelly it is the most beautiful place on earth, but you have to go during the monsoon season because the rain makes the Canyon magical it turns the red earth crimson and set against the black sky with lightening all around, and the wind whistling through the rock formations it sounds as if a thousands spirits are moving through the Canyon. It is amazing!

May 18, 2006 2:51 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

AZCG - i envy you, i would have liked to have hiked down it when i was in my 20'(probably would have needed $500 to get my big ass back up) i could have done the mule thing though. sounds great the way you describe it.

May 18, 2006 6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1972! Geez Chuck! You were probably standing at the top of the Grand Canyon while I was hiking down Bright Angel! I would have been 22 in 1972. Life does amaze me at times!

AZCG

May 18, 2006 12:41 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

AZCG - I thought that was you... you are a brown eyed, black haired babe!

May 18, 2006 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home