Tuesday, June 20, 2006


Fifty Five Years As Our State Bird

The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - Tyrannus Forticatus - Oklahoma’s State Bird Since May of 1951.
Few birds equal the subtle beauty and graceful elegance of the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. Its upper body parts are pale, pearl gray, while its whitish under parts are flushed with salmon pink. The wings are dark and the long, scissor-shaped tail feathers are white with black tips. They have black bills and black feet. Adult Scissor-tails are approximately 13 inches in length, the male's tail being longer than the female's. They typically lay 4 to 6 whitish eggs mottled with brown, violet or gray. The nest is a grass-lined cup of twigs and weed stems in a tree or bush.
The Scissor-tail ranges from southern Nebraska to southern Texas, migrating southward in the fall to Mexico and Central America and then returning in the Spring.
A member of the Tyrannidae Family, these "Tyrant" flycatchers are aptly named as they rigorously rule their territories, never hesitating to chase off a passing crow or hawk. Swooping repeatedly amidst a tirade of shrill, bickering notes or harsh keck or kew calls, the Scissor-tail pecks at the less mobile subject of its wrath until the harried target is only too happy to escape.
As a child all I would have to do to see one was to look at a barbed wire fence or a high line wire for a moment and one was surely to appear. When I would go on trips with my family my Mother would try and keep us kids quiet in the car by making a game of seeing who could count the most Scissor-tails from their side of the car. Whenever I think of my childhood Summers it involves dry weather, blue skies, white clouds, tall grass, and Scissor-tails. It’s a good memory to dwell on sometimes

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tha tis a good memory, and glad you shared it withus.

We have missed you Chuck. Try to get a little better here and come back tous!

June 20, 2006 7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were into birds.

Glad to see you back on line.

June 20, 2006 1:56 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

xmichra - great to hear from you, it makes me feel good that you keep checking on me. i'll be back soon.

montanus - i'm glad you check too, there is some pretty country side between my house and the hospital, and i saw a few scissor-tails yesterday along the way, it was about 95 degrees and sunny, a good day for a short drive. i'll be by soon.

June 20, 2006 3:29 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Di - it really does do my heart good to see that you keep checking in, i miss you too. maybe i could send you a loaner?

June 20, 2006 7:58 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Di - oh come on, i'd send you a new one...

June 21, 2006 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous bird and wonderful memory. We used to play games like that in the car, too :)

I watched my pheobes (fly catcher sort of bird) and bearded fly catchers in the garden today (we don't have the scissor tails, though). They perch atop the tomato stakes and swoop out with perfect accuracy to catch flies on the wing and then back to their perch they go, over and over. They don't seem to mind I'm there. Wish we had those scissor tail beauties here :)

June 21, 2006 11:19 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

wys - how are you doing ? i remember reading that the scissor-tail was related to pheobes, i don't know anything about birds except what my mom would tell me when i was young, she showed me what killdeer were and how they would protect there young and their nests on the ground, all just a part of growing up in the country in oklahoma i guess, i wish i had paid more attention. take care.

June 22, 2006 12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning ! Hey, I gotta plan (rut ro). It's called "name that bird". When you get back, you hang yourself a bird feeder outside your window, or if ya don't wanna do that, just throw some cheap mixed seed out the door occasionally, and one by one, bird by bird, we're gonna have you ID'ing backyard buddies. When I was so sick and in bed a lot, I remember I missed seeing the birds, and so I repositioned my feeders so I could see them from the horizontal position I was in in the bed. If I were at your place, I'd hang those feeders for you! I'd fill em up! I'd have you eyeballing pretty pretty birdies. Pretty soon you'd be asking "where the HECK are the chickies" ? Hugs to you! We will miss you, Chuck!!

Wys

June 22, 2006 6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home