Monday, May 08, 2006



Smoke Rings In The Dark

Well I won't make you tell me what I've come to understand.
You're a certain kind of woman and I'm a different kind of man.
I've tried to make you love me you've tried to find a spark.
Of the flame that burned and somehow turned to smoke rings in the dark.

The loneliness within me takes a heavy toll.
Cause it burns as slow as whiskey through an empty aching soul.
And the night is like a dagger long and cold and sharp.
As I sit here on the front steps blowing smoke rings in the dark.

I know I must be going,
cause love's already gone.
All I'm taking with me are the pieces of my heart.
All I'll leave are smoke rings in the dark.

The rain falls where it wants to the wind blows where it will.
Everything on earth goes somewhere but I swear we're standing still.
So I'm not gonna wake you I'll go easy on your heart.
I'll just touch your face and drift away like smoke rings in the dark.

I know I must be going,
cause love's already gone.
All I'm taking with me are the pieces of my heart.
All I'll leave are smoke rings in the dark...

Gary Allan
(1999)
Smoke Rings In The Dark

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a cool song. I bet if it weren't country i would have heard it by now too ;)

Great lyrical quality though.

Now a little bit of the gushy sentimental stuff...
Chuck. You have ingrained yourself into my memory.. even though I have no picture of your face or scent to place you. Your words have made you a good friend of mine in a very short time... which is odd, but in itself awesome. So you may be a smoke ring to others, you most definately would not be to me.

Just wanted to tell you that.

May 08, 2006 11:06 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

You will be my friend forever.
You could grow to hate me.
You could never talk to me again.
And it would not matter.
You will be my friend forever.

Yesterday you made me smile.
Today you made me cry.

May 08, 2006 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

((hugs))
I figure i couldn't hate you.. that is a special reserve for the assholes who scorn.. and you my dear do not fit that category, at least not in my life. So don't worry about that :)

And If i don't like something I am not shy to tell ya off.. hehe. Friends are kinda funny that way ;)

May 08, 2006 2:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Chuck, see how ya are, you can bring a girl to tears and then make her smile all within a second. Where were you 20 years ago, when our's could've been?

May 09, 2006 6:28 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

i was looking for you in a bar. it was called "The Rose" it was a huge dance club, two sides, one country and one rock n' roll, i'de go back and forth between the two. where the hell were you ?

May 09, 2006 9:12 PM  
Blogger Butchie said...

Gary Allen's sound guy is a buddy of mine.

May 24, 2006 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home