Sunday, March 12, 2006

Insulin is a Funny Thing

Insulin is a funny thing, when you take four or five shots a day under the skin with a five eighths inch size 28 needle, after a few years your skin gets tough in areas. Sometimes the needle penetrating the skin hurts and sometimes it does not, sometimes the injection burns and sometimes it does not. If you do not move the site of the injection around enough the area gets tough and you do not get the full affect of the insulin, it does not absorb correctly. So you are going along keeping your blood sugar managed well and you give yourself an injection that does not absorb correctly, unknown to you at the time, and you do a dumb thing like eating a Ding Dong or two (something that is not good to do but wouldn't usually send you off the charts) and your blood sugar gets jacked up. Now you can wait it out, get active and get your metabolism going and burn some of it off, or shoot up a liitle more juice. Either way it sucks, especially at 3:30 AM in the morning, you skipped dinner (other than the Ding Dongs) and when you try and sleep you can't because you don't breath right due to the anxiety from the elevated glucose (yeah, that's one of the ways it affects me, anxiety, head aches, and peeing every 20 to 30 minutes) Can't sleep, head ache, shouldn't eat, Neuropathy killing my legs, kid is gone to her mothers for the weekend (I miss her like crazy when she is gone, even to school) and nothing on TV except infomercials on "Girls Gone Wild". Maybe when I was younger I might have liked that kind of behavior in a slut... excuse me, I mean young lady, but as a father of a teenage girl it makes me want to puke. Surely some of their fathers have seen these advertisements. Things have changed since my day. Well I'm getting off track here. Anyway being a Diabetic sucks, having Neuropathy sucks, and not having Satellite TV sucks. Good night or Good day, depending.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chuck!

I've heard that a teaspoon of cinnamon every day is good for diabetics. Take it straight, on the rocks, on toast.

March 21, 2006 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home